Archaeological divers from the Underwater Archaeology Unit (UAU) of the National Monuments Service (Department of Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht) have recovered a number of significant artefacts from the wreck site of La Juliana, one of three ships of the Spanish Armada of 1588 that were lost off Streedagh Strand, Co. Sligo in 1588. A dive inspection was undertaken by the UAU in April of this year and the site of La Juliana was relocated and found to be more exposed than it has been in the last 30 years. Visible on the seabed were gun-carriage wheels, anchors and cannon as well as structural elements of the vessel. Because of the vulnerability of the material to the elements, the erosive forces of the sea and the potential threat of theft or inappropriate interference with the site, a decision was taken in consultation with the National Museum of Ireland to excavate, record, recover and conserve the more vulnerable artefacts that have recently become exposed. The current phase of work on the site will continue until late July, following which a long term management strategy will be put in place for the three wreck sites.